Farewell Harbour Lodge
Experience the profound beauty of the Broughton Archipelago and the Great Bear Rainforest at this family-run wilderness lodge. Located between Vancouver Island and BC's mainland on a secluded 10 acre old growth forest, Farewell Harbour Lodge offers guests intimate wildlife viewing excursions lead by passionate and knowledgeable guides during the day, then delicious meals, and west-coast lodge comforts in the evening.
Witness Orcas skip over the blue Pacific waves, humpback whales feed in their natural habitat, and mighty Grizzlies forage in lush estuaries.
Day 1: Vancouver > Farewell Harbour Lodge (D)
Fly Vancouver to Port Hardy, and transfer by shuttle to Alder Bay. Depart Alder Bay aboard our high speed water taxi for the scenic 25 minute service to Farewell Harbour. Greet Farewell Harbour Lodge staff at the dock. Check in, receive welcome orientation and welcome appetizers. Relax, you're here! After settling into accommodations, join an afternoon tour in search of marine wildlife in the waters of the famous Johnstone Strait and Robson Bight Ecological Reserve. Return to the lodge by 6:00 pm. Buffet dinner at 7:00 pm, followed by next day activity briefing. Evening presentation at 8:00 pm on some aspect of coastal ecology.
Day 2: Farewell Harbour Lodge (B,L,D)
After breakfast, meet on the dock at 8:00 am for first full day bear viewing adventure to one of our main grizzly viewing estuaries! Our bear viewing takes us to one of several estuaries where we view either from a zodiac or on foot depending on the tide. We do not use viewing platforms, preferring to view wildlife at eye level in their natural habitat. Return by 6:00 pm; buffet dinner at 7:00 pm followed by evening presentation on some aspect of Great Bear Rainforest, Bears or First Nations culture.
Day 3: Farewell Harbour Lodge(B,L,D)
7:00 am breakfast, then on the water at 8:00 am for your choice of another bear viewing safari or a more extensive exploration of the incredibly rich waters of Johnstone Strait and the Robson Bight Ecological Reserve. Orcas typically return to these waters mid July although Humpbacks and other marine life can often be seen in May and June. Return by 6:00 pm for dinner and evening programme.
Day 4: Farewell Harbour Lodge > Vancouver(B,L)
Choose from one of the following options: • Indigenous Cultural Tour with Sea Wolf Adventures • Marine excursion (2 hours) • Sea kayak excursion (2 hours) • Guided interpretive rain forest hike (2 hours)
Return to the lodge for the return water taxi back to Alder Bay. Transfer by shuttle to the Port Hardy Airport for your return flight to Vancouver.
Pricing (per person) $NZD
2020 Departures Daily 1 Jun - 6 Oct
• Minimum child age is 10 years old • A 20% non-refundable deposit is required at time of booking • Baggage weight restriction for water taxi is 23 kgs per person plus carry on • Please note name change or date changes will incur fees
• Early/late arrival/departure times • Items of a personal nature while at the lodge (laundry, alcoholic beverages except wine with dinner) • Gratuity for staff • Fuel surcharge will be added at time of booking and is subject to change
• Gratuities for staff are not included (recommended CAD$40 per day per guest for duration of stay)
Specific travel dates apply
*per person share twin
4 Days From
- Round-trip airfare from Vancouver to Port Hardy
- Complimentary round-trip shuttle from Port Hardy Airport to Alder Bay
- Round-trip water taxi from Alder Bay to Farewell Harbour Lodge
- 3 nights accommodations with private ensuite and shower
- Welcome briefing and orientation to the tours, viewing opportunities and facilities
- 3 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 3 Dinners
- Wine with dinner is complimentary
- Non-alcoholic beverages
- All transportation on all wildlife excursions
- Half day marine tour excursion on arrival day
- One full day excursion to one of our grizzly viewing areas
- One full day on marine tour excursion
- Choose from one of the below excursion on departure day: Marine excursion (2 hours); Sea kayak excursion (2 hours); Guided interpretive rainforest hike (2 hours) • Evening guide presentations/slide shows • BC Provincial hotel tax & carbon offset fee