Christmas in Taranaki - MoaTours
Stay three nights at New Plymouth’s Waterfront Hotel with the Festival of Lights at Pukekura Park and celebrate Christmas lunch at the Nice Hotel. Chaddy’s lifeboat cruise and the Forgotten World Highway are special attractions.
Departure: 23 Dec 2020
Day 1: Auckland - Piopio - New Plymouth
We depart Auckland and travel south to the King Country, stopping for lunch in Piopio. Continuing through the scenic Awakino Gorge to the Tasman coast and south to Mokau, we traved over bush clad Mt Messenger, reaching New Plymouth in the late afternoon. Your hotel is right on the seafront just across from Len Lye’s Wind Wand kinetic sculpture and the waterfront boardwalk. We dine in the hotel's restaurant this evening.
Day 2: New Plymouth - Christmas lunch - Festival of Lights
Enjoy a leisurely breakfast in your hotel then cross the road to take a stroll along the boardwalk that stretches right along the coastline. We celebrate Christmas with lunch at the Table Restaurant at the Nice Boutique Hotel with host Terry Parkes. We return to The Waterfront Hotel to refresh and relax and this evening we drive a few streets away to catch the Christmas night atmosphere at the once a year event when Pukekura Park is transformed by the Festival of Lights.
Day 3: Boxing Day - New Plymouth harbour cruise - Sightseeing
A specialist guide joins our coach to tell us the stories of the city's historic places as we sight see around the town. We call into the Len Lye Centre and lunch next door at Monica's. In the afternoon we meet our skipper Chaddy and take a one hour cruise on a classic English lifeboat built in the Isle of Wight in 1953. Our cruise takes us out to the Sugar Loaf Islands Marine Park.The seven islands in the group are the eroded remnants of a volcano, are home to an array of birds and wildlife including the northern-most fur seal colony.
Day 4: New Plymouth - Cairnhill Farm - Whangamomona - The Chateau Tongariro
We drive to Stratford and turn onto SH43 - the “Forgotten World Highway". We hear the stories of the highway over morning tea at Cairnhill Farm with Colin and June Lees before continuing to Whangamomona where in 1988 residents declared the town a republic after boundary changes put half the district into the Manawatu. We lunch at Whangamomona Hotel then travel on to Laurens Lavender Farm and Taumarunui. We arrive at The Chateau Tongariro in time to enjoy the views of the Tongariro National Park before dining in this landmark hotel.
Day 5: The Chateau - Aramatai Gardens - Crosshills Farm - Auckland
There’s a leisurely start this morning. If the weather is clear we drive to the Top O' the Bruce for more expansive views. Then we’re bound for Taumarunui to visit Jill Mouat at Aramatai gardens. Leaving the mountains we head north to lunch with Debbie Robertson at Crosshills Farm Garden. We continue north through the Waikato farmlands to Auckland arriving in the late afternoon.
Single supplement available on request
MoaTours holidays are designed especially for mature travellers
Specific travel dates apply
*per person twin share
5 Days From
- Accommodation: 4 nights standard accommodation
- Trip Leader: Knowledgeable MoaTours guide.
- Transport: comfortable air-conditioned motorcoach (max 18 travellers).
- Meals: All breakfasts. All lunches including special lunches at: Christmas lunch, Table Restaurant at the Nice Boutique Hotel; lunch at the historic Whangamomona Hotel; lunch at Cross Hills farm. All dinners including dinner at:The Chateau Tongariro, Tongariro National Park
- Activities & Attractions: See Pukekura Park transformed by the Festival of Lights, Cruise around the Sugar Loaf Islands Marine Park, Tour the Len Lye centre, Visit Puke Ariki museum, A specialist guide joins our coach tour to New Plymouth's historic places, Morning tea at Cairnhill Farm and Garden, Enjoy the stunning views from The Chateau Tongariro, Lunch with Debbie and Fraser Robertson at Cross Hills Farm