Molesworth Station, Abel Tasman & Golden Bay - MoaTours
Enjoy the unique history of New Zealand’s biggest farm the Molesworth Station, the world famous Abel Tasman National Park, the charms of sunny Nelson, Farewell Spit and the delights of Golden Bay.
Departure: 24 Jan, 21 Mar 2021
Day 1: Fly to Christchurch – Waipara – Hanmer Springs
You are met on arrival in Christchurch airport. We drive north up the Canterbury Plains to the pretty alpine village of Hanmer Springs. We enjoy a private lunch at a farmhouse and arrive at Hanmer in time to soak in the hot pools. We stay two nights in Hanmer Springs and dine out both evenings
Day 2: Hanmer Springs – Molesworth Station – Hanmer Springs
Travel with our local guide over Jacks Pass into Molesworth Station and the Clarence Valley. New Zealand’s largest farm has cattle and horses, sparkling rivers, mountain ranges and century old cob buildings and trees. There’s time to uncover the history and explore this land of the real cowboy and our chance to glimpse his way of life.
Day 3: Hanmer Springs – Lewis Pass – Murchison – Nelson
We drive through the beech forests of the 864m Lewis Pass in the Southern Alps and on to spectacular Maruia Falls. From the Shenandoah Highway we reach the Buller Gorge and continue to Murchison, over the Hope Saddle and onto Nelson. We dine in at Trailways Hotel, our home for two nights.
Day 4: Nelson – Abel Tasman National Park – Nelson
At Kaiteriteri we board a purpose built catamaran to cruise along the Abel Tasman National Park, a stunning coastline of golden sandy beaches, bush clad headlands and islands. We sightsee on the way back to Nelson, visiting the World of WearableArt and Classic Cars Museum at Annesbrook.
Day 5: Nelson - Anatoki Salmon Farm – Waikoropupu Springs – Pohara Beach
We drive over Takaka Hill into Golden Bay. At beautiful Te Waikoropupu Springs the world’s purest water bubbles up from deep in the earth. We lunch at Anatoki Salmon Farm. We stay two nights at the Pohara Beachfront motel and dine nearby in the relaxed ambience of San Souci Inn.
Day 6: Golden Bay sightseeing – Collingwood – Farewell Spit tour – Pohara Beach
We head to Collingwood to join a local tour company to drive in their coach along the sands of Farewell Spit right out to the lighthouse. We stop at Cape Farewell and call into quirky Mussel Inn brewery for refreshments before returning to Pohara Beach and dining out this evening.
Day 7: Pohara Beach – Nelson – Fly to Auckland
After breakfast there’s time for a swim or a walk on the golden sands of Pohara Beach and to further explore this stunning region. We lunch at the Woolshed Café on Takaka Hill where the views are spectacular before driving to Nelson airport in time for your flight back to Auckland.
Single supplement available on request
MoaTours holidays are designed especially for mature travellers
Specific travel dates apply
*per person share twin
7 Days From
- Accommodation: 6 nights standard accommodation.
- Trip Leader: Knowledgeable MoaTours guide.
- Transport: Return flights from Auckland, comfortable air-conditioned motorcoach (max 18 travellers).
- Meals: 7 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 6 dinners.
- Activities & Attractions: Explore historic Molesworth Station by 4WD coach with a local guide, Drive over beautiful Lewis Pass, See the Maruia Falls, Cruise in Abel Tasman National Park, Visit the World of Wearable Art and Classic Cars Museum, Visit Anatoki Salmon Farm, Explore Te Waikoropupu Springs in Takaka - the world's purest water, Tour in a customised coach along the sands of Farewell Spit, Visit the arts and crafts galleries in Golden Bay, Enjoy refreshments at the quirky Mussel Inn boutique brewery.