Avalon Waterways - Romantic Rhine
Basel to Amsterdam or vv
State-of-the-art, luxurious river cruise visiting Netherlands, Germany & France
One of Europe’s most legendary rivers awaits you on this exciting journey along the Rhine River, which takes you across Germany—and touches in Holland, France, and Switzerland!
This magnificent river cruise begins in the ever popular, modern city of Amsterdam, Holland. The best way to see the treasures of this 700-year-old city is on a canal cruise along the elegant grachten lined with homes dating back to the city’s “Golden Age.”
Cologne, Germany—a 2,000 year-old city known for its gothic architecture—will be an exciting stop with its famous twin-spired cathedral and Old Town with many shops, cafés, and taverns. Pass through the dramatic Rhine Gorge—the most beautiful view of the Rhine River where ancient castles stand on cliffs 400 feet above the water. And nearby, in the charming wine town of Rüdesheim, visit the unique Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum.
Continue your Rhine river cruise to Mainz for a guided walk and visit to the captivating Gutenberg Museum, or take an excursion to Heidelberg to visit the ruins of its red-walled castle.
In Strasbourg, France, you’ll be amazed by the red-sandstone gothic cathedral with ancient murals and fascinating astronomical clock. Also, stroll through the lovely La Petite France district with its quaint shops, delightful bistros, and peaceful waterfront promenade.
Before the end of your European river cruise vacation, stop in Breisach, Germany, the gateway to Germany’s Black Forest—an area of unrivaled natural beauty—best known for Black Forest ham, cherry cake, and the cuckoo clock.
DAY 1: AMSTERDAM, HOLLAND (EMBARKATION).
DAY 2: AMSTERDAM
DAY 3: COLOGNE, GERMANY
DAY 4: KOBLENZ-RHINE GORGE
DAY 5: MAINZ. EXCURSION TO HEIDELBERG
DAY 6: STRASBOURG, FRANCE
DAY 7: BREISACH, GERMANY. EXCURSION TO BLACK FOREST
DAY 8: BASEL, SWITZERLAND (DISEMBARKATION)
Price shown is based on 21 November 2020 departure in a Category E stateroom
Amsterdam to Basel: Regular departures between 24 Mar - 12 Dec
Basel to Amsterdam: Regular departures between 31 Mar - 12 Dec
Price shown is based on 21 Nov 2020 departure from Basel to Amsterdam
Based on specific departure dates
*per person share twin
8 Days From
- Deluxe 7-night cruise in an outside stateroom (Category E) with Avalon's exclusive Comfort Collection Beds. Large private bathroom featuring full shower with glass door, hairdryer & premium L'Occitane bath products.
- Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner are included daily on board your vessel.
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner on board daily indicated by breakfast (B), lunch (L), and dinner (D) on the itinerary, including daily four-course a la carte dinners with choice of appetisers, soups, salads, mains, desserts, and Avalon Fresh healthy cuisine options.
- Included sightseeing with headsets and expert local guides.
- Complimentary bicycles available for use on shore.
- Onboard local entertainment.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the ship.
- A professional Cruise Director who delivers educational commentary as you travel through interesting landscapes, and who assists with requests and additional excursions.
- An Avalon Adventure Host available as your guide for fitness activities and active excursions.
- Friendly, English-speaking staff who deliver consummate personal service throughout your journey.
- Gratuities to Cruise Director, Crew, Local Guides & Excursion Drivers are included on Avalon portion only.
- Your day-by-day itinerary indicates in UPPERCASE all inside visits, special features, and guided sightseeing
SAVE $5,000 per couple. Book by 31 October 2019 to secure the biggest savings for 2020