Peregrine - Walking in Tuscany
Florence to Volterra
Fall in love with provincial Italy on this adventure through Tuscany.
Famous for its rolling, sun-drenched hills dotted with quaint villages and scored by manicured rows of vineyards, the Tuscan countryside remains an unspoiled vision of classical Italy. From captivating Florence, with its historic galleries and magnificent hilltop views, head out to the Val d’Orcia region and visit ancient villages waiting to be explored. Wander through crumbling castle remains in Monte Voltraio, get lost in the cobbled laneways of Volterra, and discover the hidden secrets of Siena. Taste local wines and experience an unforgettable night at a Tuscan farm.
- Enjoy a wine tasting in a Montepulciano wine cellar, the perfect end to a morning spent strolling and dining in the Tuscan hills
- Discover charming villages such as Monticchiello, hidden to mass tourism by their location and tiny size
- Uncover the secrets of the hilltop village of Volterra, famous for its magnificent sunsets and Etruscan ruins dating back more than 2,000 years. The Romans mined Volterra’s alabaster for sculpting. Visit a small workshop for an exclusive demonstration by an artisan who has been plying his trade for over 70 years
- Relax by supping a glass of Vernaccia on top of the city walls in the afternoon in San Gimignano, when most tourists visiting the town have disappeared. Vernaccia is a local grape varietal, produced in and around San Gimignano.
Is this trip right for you?
- You will need to be in good health and able to walk for a few hours at a time. The walks on this tour are graded Easy to Moderate. You will be walking on well defined paths for 4-5 hours (5-12 km) per day. There are some up-and-down sections, and the terrain varies from well-defined paths to rocky trails. The scenery is of course well worth the exertion!
- Summer temperatures can be extreme in Italy (over 40°C). It’s important to use sun protection, wear layers to combat the heat and drink plenty of water.
- As accommodation on this trip is twin-share, single travellers will share a room with another traveller of the same gender. If you’d prefer not to share, a single-room supplement is often available (at an additional charge). Many hotels in Europe don't have double beds, but rather two single beds that can be pushed together or apart.
Prices shown based on low season travel - details on request
Specific travel dates apply
*per person share twin
8 Days From
- Accommodation - Comfortable hotel (5 nights), Feature stay in Val d'Orcia (2 nights)
- Meals - 7 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 3 dinners
- Transport - Private vehicle, Local bus
- Included activities as specified
- The services of Peregrine's expert English-speaking local tour leader
Earn 3,500 Qantas Frequent Flyer Points on all tours over $1,000